From Field Notes website:
Our Quarterly Editions are frequently complicated productions, and such complexity often yields terrific results. But once in a while, we feel the need to produce a quieter edition that reflects the simplicity of our earliest editions. We also wanted to offer a product below ten bucks again.
So for our 57th Quarterly Edition, we made 2-Packs.
Each is a different color. The covers are the result of the interaction of a bright, transparent ink with the lovely, rich tone of the French Paper Co.’s fibrous “Packing Brown Wrap” paper we’ve been using for years on our “Original Kraft” Memo Books. It’s ink and paper as opposed to ink on paper.
2-Packs are available with burnt-orange (Amber), dusty blue (Aqua) and sage-like green (Moss) covers, with a space at the bottom to index the books by date and subject.
The insides feature Domtar’s splendid, slightly off-white, Cougar Natural 60#T stock with a subtle dot-graph. The pages are micro-perforated, so your notes and lists are secure, but easy to remove when needed.
By happy accident (or subconscious decision) orange, blue, and green also happen to have been the colors of our three very first Quarterly Editions from 2009. So we’ve got that going for us.
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of Active Graphics, Cicero, Ill.
- 02. Cover: French Dur-O-Tone 80#C “Packing Brown Wrap,” with a thick, brute force, 1-color application of “Amber,” “Aqua,” “Moss,” and “Berry” soy-based Superior ink.
- 03. Innards: Domtar Cougar 60#T “Natural,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Double Knee Duck Canvas Light Brown” soy-based Superior ink.
- 04. Cover and innards printed (and perforated) on a Komori Lithrone S40 40" 6-color offset printing press.
- 05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.
- 07. Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.